Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Americano the proper way, and a revelation

Yet another Americano drink. I apologize up front for my obsession. But there is a notable twist with this one. While visiting family in Amherst we popped into a classy-but-hip coffee shop. There I found an unexpected treat. The menu actually listed their preparations as containing ristretto shots. Wow. I seldom find coffee shops that even know what they are, much less advertise them front and center. Naturally with such a uncommon offering I had to go pure yet again and have a ristretto-based Americano with extra room. It was the closest drink I have had to a long black since New Zealand. Awesome. The crema was amazingly dense and about a quarter inch thick and it lasted at least half of the way down.

This experience made me realize that all the fancy extras I've tried this month is not doing it for me as much as I had hoped. The simple joy of this drink was evidence of how good well made coffee can be all on its own.

No comments: