Monday, May 7, 2007

Sweet, but not too sweet

Well, if Eric feels that "people are more evolved and have advanced coffee creativity [than me]," then I must be at the amoeba level of coffee ordering evolution.

For all of grad school, James and I spent countless evenings at the Starbucks near our apartment at the time studying...or avoiding studying. I think I only ever ordered one of two drinks: a tall black ice tea unsweetened or a tall vanilla skim latte. I guess you could call it a simple taste....or dull in comparison to the drinks I hope to begin ordering by the end of this month. In recent months I have "expanded" my repertoire of drinks to include skim chai or vanilla chai lattes (hot and iced). I have a long way to go...

Personally, I'm interested in the drinks the group likes most - especially if it is different by
hot or cold drinks. I'm also looking forward to ordering the drink James was told is a French Vanilla latte (a latte with vanilla and hazelnut syrups) as an iced drink. I wasn't that pleased with it as a hot drink, but I'm 1) determined to see if all baristas will recognize the drink and 2) determined to test all drinks hot and cold.

Tonight, I ordered a tall skim latte with one shot each of vanilla and caramel. I thought it would be too sweet, but I liked it more than a regular vanilla latte. Sweet, but not too sweet.

5 comments:

James said...

I got the 'creme brulee' - a white chocolate mocha with caramel. I decided to go with regular milk, since this was both coffee and dessert for me. If you have a serious sweet tooth, this may be your drink.

Becky said...

Maybe my drink wasn't so simple...checking out the cup we realized that originally the cashier put the caramel shot (CR) in the "custom" spot scratched it out and then put it next to the V in syrup.

Becky said...

"if you have a serious sweet tooth" I had a sip and I think my teeth screamed....SWEET!

eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eric said...

So I understand that a normal dose of syrup for a tall is supposed to be 3 pumps. That does seem like a lot considering 1 or 2 pumps are already comfortably in the sweet territory as Becky found. I'll have to try hers and James's "creme brulee" too. Man, this is crying out for someone to go for broke and have a single pump of EVERY syrup in a tall WCM. Have 911 keyed into your cell and a finger on the send button before you sip that one.